bbs.english.sina.com
bbs.english.sina.com
Thread
Print

Travel Greece

Travel Greece

This is the Acropolis of Athens where the Parthenon is located. The Acropolis is the symbol of Athens, the sacred rock, linking the fabulous ancient civilization with the modern city. The monuments on the Sacred Rock date back to the prehistoric era and antiquity. The grandeur and beauty of the Sacred Rock attract Greek and foreign visitors. The Parthenon is an architectural masterpiece of great renown. You will appreciate its splendour if you visit, and learn about the history and the secrets of the construction of the Parthenon. This unique temple, dedicated to the goddess Athena, was built of Pentelic marble. The Parthenon of the classical era was built on the remains of the monumental earlier Parthenon, an archaic temple built in the late 6th century BC. The architects of the classical temple, which was constructed and decorated from 447-432 BC (in the Golden Age of Pericles), were Iktinos and Kallikrates. In the Parthenon stood the golden-ivory stature of Athena, the work of the famous sculptor Pheidias, who was also in charge of the overall construction. The statue was the destination of the great procession of the Great Panathenaea, depicted in the frieze of the temple. A visit to the Acropolis is a unique experience.

The ancient theaters of Epidauros has being one of the most well-known and better preserved ancient theaters. The theater was constructed late in the 4th and early in the 3rd century BC, with a second construction phase during the mid of the 2nd century BC (possibly being the design of architect Polyklitos). Even in the ancient times it was considered by Pausanias to be the most harmonious and beautiful open-air theater, features related to the structure’s adaptation to the shape of the hillside and its famous acoustic quality. The theater has a capacity of 13000 – 14000 people and was initially used for solo singing, chanting, musical contests (mainly for solo instruments) and theatrical performances of ancient drama. Similar types of activities are still entertained in the site during the summer months.

Santorini / Thira is a magic place. Formed by near-catastrophic earthquakes and volcanic eruptions within historical memory, and tied to mythological Atlantis by various authorities through the millennia (starting with Plato) this island weaves an indelible spell on all who partake of its ethereal pleasures and its otherworldly, craggy landscape.

Venice Canals Italy

Assos, Kefalonia, Greece

Fiscardo village is located 50 kilometres away from the island’s capital; it is the northernmost port of Kefalonia. Many little fishing boats are mooring in it and from that spot, one can see the close coast of the island of Ithaca.

This beautiful and picturesque fishing village is very famous because it is one of the few villages that have not been destroyed by the disastrous earthquake of 1953.

Mount Athos: St Panteleimon Monastery
The Monastery's katholikon is dedicated to St Panteleimon and was built in the early 19th century. The Rossikon is famous for its bells, which in total weigh more than 20 tons, the largest of them weighing 13, with a diameter of 2.7 metres. The treasures of the Monastery include many noteworthy sacred vessels and vestments. Half the Monastery was gutted by fire in 1968. Its library houses around 1,320 manuscripts, of which 600 are in Slavonic, and more than 20,000 printed books. St Panteleimon once had metochia all over Russia. On the Holy Mountain it has five kellia. It occupies nineteenth place in the hierarchy of the monasteries and has 15 chapels within its precinct and 20 outside. Today it has around 50, mostly young, monks.

The Corinth Canal is a canal connecting the Gulf of Corinth with the Aegean Sea. It cuts through the Isthmus of Corinth and separates the Peloponnesus peninsula from the Greek mainland and therefore effectively makes it an island.

It is 6346m long,and the width is 24,6m at sea level,  the depth of the sea is 8m  and was built between 1881 and 1893. It saves the 400 km long journey around the Peloponnesus for smaller ships, but since it is only 21 m wide, it is too narrow for modern ocean freighters. The canal is nowadays mostly used by tourist ships; 11,000 ships per year travel through the waterway.

National Library of Greece
On March 16, 1888, the foundation stone for a neoclassical marble building was laid, financed by three brothers from Kefallonia, Panagis, Marinos and Andreas Vallianos. The Library remained in the University building until 1903, when it was moved to a new building which was designed by Theofilos Hansen and supervised by Ernest Schiller.
Today, the Library is still housed at the Vallianos building, as well as at two other buildings, at Agia Paraskevi and Nea Halkidona. The valuable collections of their combined materials represent the written Greek cultural treasure.

Mykonos Island Greece  Eating by the ocean.

The Parthenon is an architectural masterpiece of great renown. You will appreciate its splendour if you visit, and learn about the history and the secrets of the construction of the Parthenon. This unique temple, dedicated to the goddess Athena, was built of Pentelic marble. The Parthenon of the classical era was built on the remains of the monumental earlier Parthenon, an archaic temple built in the late 6th century BC. The architects of the classical temple, which was constructed and decorated from 447-432 BC (in the Golden Age of Pericles), were Iktinos and Kallikrates. In the Parthenon stood the golden-ivory stature of Athena, the work of the famous sculptor Pheidias, who was also in charge of the overall construction. The statue was the destination of the great procession of the Great Panathenaea, depicted in the frieze of the temple. A visit to the Acropolis is a unique experience.

[ Last edited by chunzhehan123 at 4-9-2008 00:01 ]

Travel Greece ,,,

Ohhhh, a wonderful place for travelling!

How beautiful it is! I want to live there with my Choro-Qs

hi

Hi I come from Greece.Thank you for your photos

So good!!!

Hi, I am from Greece living in China and I must say bravo for these photos....they are very beautiful and show a few beautiful places of my beautiful country...

If you are interested and want more information just send me an email and i can tell you some more beautiful places to visit.

Cool!!!

Quote:
Santorini / Thira is a magic place. Formed by near-catastrophicearthquakes and volcanic eruptions within hostmonster memory, and tiedto mythological Atlantis by various authorities through the millennia(starting with Plato) this island weaves an indelible spell on all whopartake of its ethereal pleasures and its otherworldly, craggylandscape.
Ohhhh, How beautiful it is! a wonderful place for travelling! Thank you for your photos.

It is nice. So beautiful!

Good place to travel. Hope I can go to there next year.

simulation credit

Thanks for sharing. It's great.

Nice tour!
Welcome your tibet tour

Great pictures. I wish I could be there soon.

Just a dream. LOL

Simulation pret

Greece is beautiful. I'd like to go there one of these days. Did you go to Santorini? I always thought that the whole white thing going on with the houses was interesting.

Regards,
Laine
prêts travaux

A nice place! I hope to traval there one day!

A nice place! I hope to traval there one day!

very nice place

i have been to greece many time and its really a very beautiful country.use  Atlas Direct to get the good idea of the city you are visiting.What i liked most about the greece was it  Security Systems which is one of the best in the world.
Regards
JameFlashlightz

Thread