Subject: Clinton defends her handling of Benghazi attack in testimony [Print This Page] Author: wow Time: 24-1-2013 07:33 Subject: Clinton defends her handling of Benghazi attack in testimony
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Wednesday defended her handling of the September 11, 2012 attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi that killed four Americans, an event that threatens to stain her legacy at the State Department.
"Benghazi didn't happen in a vacuum," Clinton said at the start of a Senate hearing into the September 11 assault on a US mission in eastern Libya.
"The Arab revolutions have scrambled power dynamics and shattered security forces across the region," she told the Senate Foreign Relations committee called to review the lessons learned from the Benghazi attack, in which US ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans were killed.
She choked up as she described welcoming the fallen diplomats home, when their bodies arrived in flag-draped coffins at the Andrews Air Force base.
"I put my arms around the mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers, sons and daughters, and the wives left alone to raise their children," she said, choking back a sob.
She warned lawmakers, however, that US diplomacy could not pull back in face of the new challenges posed by the evolving geopolitical landscape, saying the United States had to meet a "changing threat environment."
"We cannot afford to retreat now. When America is absent, especially from unstable environments, there are consequences. Extremism takes root, our interests suffer, and our security at home is threatened," she said.
Clinton also highlighted "instability in Mali," saying it "has created an expanding safe haven for terrorists who look to extend their influence and plot further attacks of the kind we saw just last week in Algeria." Author: wow Time: 24-1-2013 07:38
Clinton defends handling of Benghazi attack
US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton insisted yesterday that the department is moving swiftly and aggressively to strengthen security at US missions worldwide after the deadly September 11 raid on the consulate in Libya.
In probably her last appearance in Congress as America's top diplomat, Clinton once again took full responsibility for the department's missteps leading up to the assault at the US Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.
Clinton's testimony was focusing on the Libya attack after more than three months of Republican charges that the Obama administration ignored signs of a deteriorating security situation there and cast an act of terrorism as mere protests over an anti-Muslim video in the heat of a presidential election. Washington officials suspect militants linked to al-Qaida carried out the attack.
"It's been a cover-up from the beginning," said Senator John McCain, a leading Republican and the newest member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
Clinton is the subject of constant speculation she might be a presidential candidate in 2016
As she began her testimony, her voice cracked at times as she said her work is sometimes highly personal.
"I stood next to President Obama as the Marines carried those flag-draped caskets off the plane at Andrews. I put my arms around the mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers, sons and daughters," she told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee at a jam-packed hearing.
Her voice rising at another point, she defended UN Ambassador Susan Rice, who was vilified for widely debunked claims five days after the attack that protests precipitated the raid rather than terrorism. She challenged the Republican focus on Rice's comments, which were based on intelligence talking points.
"What difference does it make?" a clearly exasperated Clinton told Senator Ron Johnson, a Republican, after he pressed her. She insisted that "people were trying in real time to get to the best information," and that her focus was on looking ahead on how to improve security rather than revisiting the talking points and Rice's television appearance.
Clinton said the department is implementing the 29 recommendations of an independent review board that harshly criticized the department as well as going above and beyond the proposals, with a special focus on high-threat posts.
"Nobody is more committed to getting this right," she said. "I am determined to leave the State Department and our country safer, stronger, and more secure."
Welcome to bbs.english.sina.com (http://bbs.english.sina.com/)